Nights and singleplayer sleep

RaumVetis

Nights and singleplayer sleep

Post by RaumVetis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:24 pm

After having played on the server for about a week, I have a few things to say about nights.

The prevailing attitude appears to be that day is the default, with night being an aberration or intrusion. Even if that isn't the case, it takes only one person out of a group of ten to force daytime for the rest. We can use /wake but it's very easy to miss the message that someone's sleeping so it can be entered in time, particularly if you're trying to make the most of a rare night. Asking in chat for people not to sleep meets with varying success and I have often seen such requests go ignored.

I was initially drawn to this server solely because of its self-professed focus on legitimate vanilla survival play but after a week it feels less like a survival server to me than those larger, more impersonal servers with crates and a multitude of plugins. Night is integral to playing vanilla Minecraft for many reasons but mainly because it feels like you're playing half a game without it.

I've found myself thinking of making darkroom spawners just for an adequate supply of the resources and exp I need and dreading the thought of turning zombie villagers for trading in the future, as I have zero confidence that I'll be able to have a few consecutive nights for hunting and trapping. I miss looking forward to the dawn, that it had some meaning, and even random creepers hiding amongst the trees. Now I never sleep at night so as not to accidentally skip it, so have had to adjust to being plagued by phantoms when a full night actually occurs. When wandering around my base, there are no daytime mobs anywhere on the surface because they weren't able to spawn at night. I haven't seen a zombie pigman, charged creeper or skeleton horse because most thunderstorms I've been online for were slept through. None of this jives with my understanding of what the gameplay experience on a legitimate vanilla survival is.

I've seen a sleep plugin in the past that requires a percentage of players online to be in bed for night to be skipped e.g. with three online, only one person needs to sleep, while with around ten, you may need four people to sleep. This is far more balanced and, while having no clue how the plugins for this server work, is the only sensible compromise I can think of to suggest, though it'd probably still lead to the same situation.

Rather than continue to feel mounting frustration at being stymied by the lack of night, it would be nice to know if there are any plans to re-visit the way singleplayer sleep works on the server.

Yeeeeeeef

Re: Nights and singleplayer sleep

Post by Yeeeeeeef » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:31 pm

I like this idea

Limeadejones

Post by Limeadejones » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:14 am

We are already speaking about this very feature with the creator of SoloSlumber to have that made and are working on integrating it seamlessly onto the server. We thank you for your dedacation to our server and we are thrilled that you have choose the Java lifestyle.

RaumVetis

Post by RaumVetis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:18 am

Good to know.